Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Post-Election Depression

So, it's the day after.  I've been trying to gather my thoughts all day, to evaluate this anxiety I feel.  Trying to find the words to say how I feel, why.  I'm not sure if I can.

First of all, if I hear one more person say that America has a new President today, I seriously might have to slap them.  We don't have a new President today.  We've elected a new President.  We have a President Elect.  He has a lot of work in front of him over the next 2 1/2 months.  The world is already watching.  But he isn't the President, yet.  Semantics, I know, but still.

That makes it sound like I am Pro McCain, and just sending out sour grapes.  That isn't the case at all.  I did vote for McCain.  It wasn't an easy decision for me, and my reasons are mine.  They are based on my life and what I feel.  It wasn't a whim, it wasn't a vote for more of the same.  As I said before, I didn't feel particularly strongly for either candidate.  My real choice would hav been a do over, but on a much shorter scale.

This whole election process started way too long ago.  It's been America's obsession for well over a year.  I'm tired of it.  I am afraid of what next year will bring.  I'm not full of hope, spouting rainbows and unicorns every where I go.  I worried that McCain would be more of the same, and it isn't working.  Big corporations should not be bailed out.  If you build a business, and you make bad business choices, you should not be rewarded for that, especially not using my money.  If you consumed too much trash, spending money you don't have...then I guess you need to learn your lesson.  Because of these choices, I am watching people that I love struggle to make it.  Decent, hardworking people just trying to keep it all going.  I worry that Obama will be too much change, too fast.  I worry that the world will want to test him...see how strong he is.  I worry that my husband may not have a job in 2 years.  That we will return to the state of the military we had back in 2001.  Not enough people, not enough equipment.  Part of the reason the war in Iraq costs so much is because Clinton didn't spend enough to keep equipment and personnel at the necessary levels.  When something does happen and we need to respond, there isn't enough.

I work for the State government.  We elected a new governor.  I think that he will be a good governor, and I don't fear for my job as I would have if his competitor had been elected.  But I know change will still come.  We are doing more with way less, just as every person is doing in their personal life.  Something will have to give eventually.

I am praying.  I am hoping that this will be a good thing for America.  If nothing else, I hope that the senseless name calling can stop.  I'm tired of people inferring that I am stupid or brain damaged, simply because I haven't become one of the many followers.

And the paper consumption will be reduced again, and the roadside signs will stop marring my view.

No comments: