Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It's just like riding a bike.

PB can't ride a bike without training wheels. At 9, her father and I thought it was time. I don't know if you've realized this, but she is our cautious child. She doesn't take chances very often, an when she decides to try something, it is only after she's assessed all the risks. And while I know that she gets this from me, it's difficult to deal with it. And teaching her to ride a bike? We've been doing that for 3 years now. And we are no closer to achieving that goal.

The entire time she's on the bike, she's constantly talking. "Don't let go. You're holding on, right? I don't think this is a good idea. I really don't feel comfortable with this. Can we stop now. " And On, and On, and On. Until you want to scream "Just shut up and ride the stupid bike already!!!!"

Last night, we pulled the bike out and raised the seat, and I started working with her. In sandals. We quickly realized that daddy needed to take over. He's holding her seat and the handlebars and leading her down the road, she's peddinling for all she's worth (and chattering in fear the entire time). He let's go of the handlebar, and she panics. She throws her legs up, and jumps off the bike. Into my husband. No, she doesn't jump off the side he isn't on, she jumps into him. They end up in a tangle of legs and bike. I see daddy trying really hard to not yell at her, but Ms. Safety has just violated so many safety rules. So a little hollering occurs. She runs upstairs and the bike riding mission is over for the night.

Does anyone want to come teach her how to ride her bike? I'll pay you.

No comments: