Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Not even the lesser of two evils

I'm not very vocal about my politics. In general, I believe that sometimes the government needs to govern, but that we need to protect our right to choose. I'm actually a pretty tolerant person. Just because your views of life, your lifestyle, your choices are different than mine, that doesn't make them wrong. As long as you are not harming anyone, you should be free to go about your business.

I am a registered Independent. This means that I can not vote in any of the primary elections. My children often ask me who I'm going to vote for, and my answer continues to be I don't know. I don't know who I'm going to vote for in the Presidential election, our State Governor's election, the Senate, the House. I don't know. Its not because I'm not listening, reading, thinking. It's because no one impresses me that strongly. I just don't know.

There is so much hinging on this election, and I just don't feel a strong sense that either of these candidates can effectively, completely lead us going forward.

What also scares me is how fanatic some people have become about their candidate. People are judging people solely based on who they are supporting. Nasty comments, demeaning words, and I'm not just talking about the campaign commercials. It causes me to worry that this election will cause a divide so deep, it might not ever be fixed. And that scares me more than the thought of either of these candidates leading us into the future.

My choice this election? Can I have a do over?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing that bothers me is that it's on both sides. You're stupid no matter who you support! I've voted (absentee) and just want it to be over with already. I started the election season excited and am now just disgusted.