Thursday, April 24, 2008

Guided by grace

Today was a day for me to realize how thankful I am for where I am in my life. I have a wonderful family, a decent job, a nice house and cars, and I'm relatively healthy. And I don't generally take it for granted. But today was a day for me to really take a good look around and be thankful. I was able to go outside with my hubby and hang out in the hammock. Our neighbor ishaving a tough time in her personal life right now, and hearing her story made me thankful for my life. I truly believe that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, and recently, I've been very thankful that I found my faith in a way that gives me strength and peace.

I believe in God. I believe that he has a plan for our lives, and that the things that are put in our paths are there to help guide us. We still have to choose to see those guides, and sometimes we choose wrong. He still guides us.

I read this post earlier this evening and a lot of the comments that followed. In it, the author is questioning faith. Faith is hard. But I think the key is that you have to understand what that faith is about. It doesn't mean that just because you pray for something, God will give it to you. What we think we want or need may not be what is in his plan for us. Faith is knowing that whatever this hard time is, it's happening for a reason. Faith is asking God not to make everything beautiful and perfect all the time, but asking him to provide you with the strength and peace to get through it. This is hard. As the counselor pointed out to me yesterday, I want to fix things. I want to make things better. And that makes it hard for me to step back and place it in God's hands. But I'm learning, and even when I forget, he doesn't.

Happy Love Thursday. Remember that life is short, and hug your loved ones.

No comments: