Saturday, March 22, 2008

Friday Night Flights

****Please note that this was written on paper Fridy night.

Why the heck did I not bring my laptop? I could be live-blogging my oh-so-exciting Friday night. Oh wait, that's cause I only had 5 minutes to get out the door and on the road.

Bug is leaving her mothers house today, which requires a plane ride or an extremely long car ride. With the price of gas, the plane fare is cheaper. The plan was for daddy to bring her over and the other kidlins and I would be hanging out at home. But when it was time to leave, it was discovered that he had left his billfold at his other home (he's having to attend classes a lot in a nearby town, and the military has nicely provided a place there for him to stay during the week.) That means he couldn't get past the security checkpoint to sit with her and wait for the plane. Even though she no longer has to fly as an unaccompanied minor, we still don't like leaving her there for hours alone. So off I go. I had warmed up some leftovers for Bug and daddy before it was time to leave so that they didn't have to stop for fast food. With five minutes to grab my book and shoes and other necessary things, I didn't get that chance. Off I go, stopping to get gas and a drink.

We arrived at the airport around 7:00, which gave us a good amount of time before her flight was scheduled to leave, and found out it was 15 minutes delayed. 8:35 comes and goes and the plane hasn't arrived from wherever. They announce it will be there at 9:10. No plane...finally, it arrives at approximately 9:20. Okay. Now they announce that they aren't loading the plane due to the weather in the Midwest. What have you all done to mother nature out there? She was pissed off at you this weekend. We sat there for a while. One of the restaurants brought us danishes/pastries, and Southwest brought us hot soda and some snacks. At just after 11:00, the announcement came.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have 6 minutes to get this plane boarded. Please line up and we'll get you out of her." And yes, they loaded that plane and pulled away from the gate in less than 15 minutes. People didn't fight or jostle, they simply handed him their boarding pass, went and sat down in a seat. I know my jaw was hitting the ground. They managed to safely land and deplane (as a matter of fact, she beat me.)

1 am, I finally got home. Yuck. From now on I bring the laptop.

No comments: