Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hey Mama!

Guess What Mama!? Mama!!! Mama, Can I? Daddy....oh wait, no we don't use that word in this house. That word is a naughty word, or maybe it's a forbidden word, or possibly we just don't like words that start with D (nope, we love the word dessert, so that can't be it) But that word doesn't get uttered at the beginning of a sentence in our house by anybody under the age of 18. Never...unless I'm not there, and then I'm not really sure. It's always Mama they come to...when they need a drink, or their butts wiped, or whatever else they may need. Mama. And while I've always tried to keep positive thoughts, it's getting harder to do so. A million times a day, I remind myself that this is a sign that my kids know they can rely on me, that they aren't afraid to ask me questions, that they know I love and care for them. But sometimes, I want to care a little less. Sometimes, I don't want to be the one that determines if they can have a snack or not. Sometimes, I want to hear that D word at the beginning of the sentences.

Please, don't misunderstand me, my husband is a good father and husband. He is just listening impaired. You truly have to say things at least 3 times for them to infiltrate his brain. Our children aren't that patient, so they've developed the coping mechanism of just not asking him for anything. This happens even when we tell them Daddy is in charge, don't ask Mama anything. And yes, I know that someday I'm going to miss those voices asking me so sweetly for a fruit roll up, but for now, I would truly settle for a few free hours. *

* Work doesn't count in these houre, because then I have adult children using my real name in the place of Mama!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sister!

LOL! Just yesterday I was whining to my office-mate that I don't want to work anymore. I don't want to be anybody's mother, or wife, or assistant... I'm tired of being at everyone's beck & call. I just wanted to go hide under the covers in my bed and stay there for a day without anyone disturbing me.

But that will NEVER happen!

And even just last night, I was soooooo tired! I just wished I could've come home from work and crashed the way I used to do b.c. (before children!).

And I know exactly what you mean about hearing "Mama, Mama" all day long. Most times, even when I send my Princess to go ask her father (because god-forbid I might be in the middle of something) I end up stopping what I'm doing and helping her myself. And I can forget it altogether if my Peanut wants something... she's still a "baby".

I've often said I was going to change my name from "Mommy" and I wasn't going to tell what my new name is (same applies to work for my real name! haha!).

I guess we knew what we were getting into when we got married and then decided to have children. There's always that little notion inside your head that denies it all, too! ;o)

Becky

Kristen said...

Oh, can I ever relate to this. Oh so well. If I'm home, I'm the one they want. They're with their dad all day every day while I'm at work, he's their primary caregiver, and yet, AND YET, once I walk in the door, it's all me.