Monday, November 06, 2006

Boy this is hard...

I have some really great pictures of my kids. They are the snapshots I keep on my desk at work, on the mantle at home, in my memory because they make me smile. Shots of my son and oldest daughter with coonskin caps and funny faces, pics of my son in too big boxer briefs, tshirt and dress shirt smiling big in our newly painted kitchen. A snapshot of the younger daughter busy creating her artwork with silly buns in her hair and a princess tierra on her head. I love these pictures so much, I want to share them with the world on here. I want the world to chuckle at my kidlins, tell me how cute they are. This has been struggle for me even before I began my blog. I'm a member of a couple of forums, and to share or not to share has always been a question I had to answer after much thought. I had almost decided to share here, and then I read another persons blog. I refuse to link that blog here, or even type it's name. It was a hateful, immature blog that made me want to rant and rave at the creator. They took a picture of another persons child and photo shopped it into something nasty. They said this was to protest us "mamabloggers" using our children for profit. Hmmm...I'm not getting any income from this, so I'm not sure how that works...but nonetheless, I know how devastated I would be if someone took one of those precious pictures of my children and morphed into something horrible. Unfortunately, the person took the argument and made it something personal and immature. Not a good way to get her point across.

I did a lot of thinking after reading several of the blogs regarding this topic. The person who wrote it was discussing how our children would have to live later in life with the fact that anyone could google them and find out that they pooped in the bathtub at 2, or that so and so's mom was institutionalized for a while and the bullying and obnoxious playground antics would ensue. And that is a valid point...this is their story, and we are telling it for them. But I am horrible about putting it into a journal, and so I'm using that as a sort of journal for them. But people like that blogger, they are the reason I am so careful with names and pictures. And why sadly, you won't see those cute pictures that make me smile, unless you come visit my house.

Copyright 2006 Mamalang


1 comment:

Andie D. said...

Well DANG! As mamas, our children's lives are a large part of our lives. We should be able to write about all aspects of our lives without fear.

Regarding the googling: That's why so many of us use nicknames/pseudonyms. How many freakin' kids are out there named "Bobby"? How could someone figure out that Bobby Watkins mom wrote about him if she never included his last name? I call bullshit.

Speaking of bullshit, whoever it was that tried to make a point by defacing an innocent kid's picture ended up instead showing herself for a truly ignorant person.

Thanks for letting me rant. I'll be here all week folks. Try the shrimp.