Thursday, October 18, 2012

BHBC: Diary of a Submissive

First, I have a confession.  I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey, and I probably won't.  But when the opportunity to review Diary of a Submissive for BlogHer Book Club, I was intrigued. Diary of a Submissive is the true life story of a woman discovering her desires.  While it lives in the erotica genre, it's more than just a titillating read.

Sophie Morgan (a pseudonym) is a journalist who thrives on being independent.  But secretly, she wants to be submissive.  The story in this book takes us from Sophie's early life, through her college years (and her first spanking) through current day, sharing the journey she has taken to find her true self.  Behind the (sometimes steamy) tales of domination/submission, there is a story of trusting yourself, and finding the confidence to go after what you want and take some chances.  Throughout all of Sophie's relationships, she is pushed to the edges of her boundaries, and has to truly listen to her inner voice telling her what she can and can't handle.

I believe that I am a pretty open-minded person, and what other people do in their private lives is their business.  Reading this story confirmed for me that I would never make it as as submissive.  I do wish that there was more discussion regarding the mechanics of a dominant/submissive relationship.  While there was a quick discussion of safe words and normal nights, the bulk of the story was about the actual acts.

If you enjoyed the Fifty Shades series, you should read Diary of a Submissive.

This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.





1 comment:

BeachMama said...

Interesting. I did read 50 Shades (the whole trilogy actually as I think you must read them all to understand the whole story) and at first I was surprised and offended, then I understood, and later loved the story as a whole (trilogy). I should read this one from a different perspective, maybe I could understand the submissive thing a bit better as I don't get that and know that I would never be one ;)