Tuesday, April 09, 2013

everything old is new again or something like that

I went to Target yesterday to pick up a few necessary items, and as usual, I strolled through the women's section just to see what they had and look for some clearance goodies.  I didn't score on the clearance, but I noticed that it looked a lot like a Target store in the 1980's.  Either Neon or pastel colors, shirts with shorter front hems than back, leggings, skinny jeans, denim jackets.  I owned all these items at some point in the 80's.

This isn't new.  I know that...trends cycle through.  But I've noticed it more and more.  As a child/teenager in the 80's, I hated to be seen in something homemade.  Lots of families in my (poorer) area had spindle tables.  Those were the big wooden spindles left over after the electric company (or cable or what ever other company there was) ran the cable.  Lots of people grabbed them and used them as outside furniture.  Because they didn't have a lot of money.  And lots of other people made fun of them.

Have you looked at Pinterest lately?  Today it's Pallets.  Oh good gravy, the things people make out of pallets now.  And here's the things...those pallets are gross.  And are made from inferior wood that could contain chemicals that harm you.  Yuck.  I'm all for recycling and reusing, but I also believe in common sense.

I'm happy to see that handmade is gained some ground.  Handmade IS awesome.  Home grown is good, and recycling benefits us all.  But not if you destroy tons of other items in the process.  And not at the detriment of your health.


No comments: